Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A Picture Sells a Thousand Homes


The old adage, "A picture says a thousand words", is true, but what words is it saying. Just how many of those words follow the exclamation "Oh, ..."? Do we present ourselves as industry professionals, or simply scare small children? As sales professionals, we want to put our best foot forward, but what of the rest of us? Most people are hardly interested in our feet. Well, OK, there's a few of those.

Within the real estate industry, the licensee will typically put a picture of themselves on the front of their business card. When I first became a Realtor, I asked my Broker if it was some sort of State requirement, as I was not use to the practice in my previous business trades. I was told; "No, it's just something everyone does". The Broker then informed me I should go to one of the most expensive photo studios in town, as that will make a difference when I hand out my miniature billboards. I'm too cheap to follow that advice, but I did take the former. Not wanting to rock the boat, or go against the crowd, or be perceived as a free-thinker, I promptly made the decision to put my face on my first running of cards over fifteen years ago.

In fact, I used the same photo for each and every order of new cards. For years, it was my lead to meeting new and prospective clients. Eventually, the idea rooted itself in my brain as a professional business concept, not just an industry cliché. It helps people connect a name with a face, and (hopefully) shows me as someone who were friendly. However, when it got to where people would take my card, look at it, look at me, look back down at the card, look back up at me, hold the card next to my face, look at the card... Well, you get the point; it was time for me to update my photo!

I was finally going to have to let the file on my computer simply entitled "ME!", go. Letting go of "ME!" would not be easy, I would also have to come to grips with the idea of getting older. Though, I am a bit taken back by how many of my colleagues also had a hard time letting go. Sorry to say, but I too sometimes make a double-take when handed another professional's card. It's human nature to stick with what we know, especially in business. We brand ourselves, and spend a lot of money and effort promoting that brand. However, every great marketing campaign needs to move on top the next phase. It's not defeat, it's just progression. Here are a few ideas that may spark some innovation with developing that NEW look;

First, don't forget to smile! Even if you are a bit insecure about your smile (pssst... a lot of us are), you will drum up a lot more business with a "cheesy" smile than a scowl.

Use a professional. By the way, not everyone with a studio or expensive camera is a professional. Ask a colleague with a nice business card who is good to use.

What do the stars do? They use straight-on headshots. Several years ago, it was a common practice to show some sort of action oriented photo. There would be poses, such as an agent on the phone, in a meeting, or perhaps just sitting at their desk. Personally, I have never been a fan of these, as they look too contrived.  They may work better on the website than a business card. If the headshot is good enough for Hollywood, it should work for us.

You need not be a fashion plate, but that 80's "Cosby" sweater will not showcase the new you! If you really are only going to sell land and farms, you can get away with a bolo, and flannel. Otherwise, wear a jacket or tie. Hawaiian shirts; if your name is Tom Selleck, then by all means.

Finally, don't overthink it. If you try to come off looking a certain way, the way you intend may be misperceived and backfire on you. The background is less important than people wanting to get to know you. Please don't get a "glamour shot". Are you an aspiring model or a sales professional? My experience; people actually do want to see the real you. It makes you that much more approachable and likeable. It might not be a boost to the ego, but you just might sells more houses. Some times, letting go of the old "ME!" is a good thing.

http://SpeakingForEffect.com 
BlaineSpeaks@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment